What is the creator economy? And why are so many creators… miserable? Mighty Networks founder Gina Bianchini was the first person I knew talking about the creating economy. She’s passionate about helping entrepreneurs, organizers, and creators see why building independently beats trying to amass huge audiences on the usual platforms. In this episode, we talk about what the creator economy is, how the game is rigged, what’s making creators miserable, and how she sees a different way forward. Plus, we’ll discuss research from the massive independent study that Mighty Networks commissioned.
- How “Building An Audience” Is Different From “Finding Customers”—And Why It Matters
- What Tech Calls Thinking by Adrian Daub
- Lost In Work: Escaping Capitalism by Amelia Horgan
- The New Creator Manifesto (Research on the creator economy)
- Mighty Networks
- Creators Calculator
- Subscribe To What Works Weekly
Looking for a transcript? I’m publishing every episode in essay form on Thursdays at explorewhatworks.com!