Work has evolved.
But the way we work has not.
Explore a new philosophy of work for the 21st-century. And challenge your assumptions about achievement, productivity, and efficiency.
There is a critical mismatch in our work lives.
Outdated expectations of how we should work create obstacles to doing remarkable work in more humane ways.
If we want a more inclusive, sustainable, and life-affirming approach to work, we must rethink work from the ground up.
We must practice work in a way that empowers us to:
Respond to uncertainty, surprise, and new situations with patience
Learn to solve problems and make sense of complexity with intention
Embrace ambiguity and flexibility without sacrificing our needs
Adapt to changing information with care and compassion
A Radical New Approach to Goal-Setting
What Works: A Comprehensive Framework to Change the Way We Approach Goal-Setting
“Nuanced, rigorous exploration. What Works is a thought-provoking antidote to the overhyped productivity narratives keeping us stuck in shame and validation spirals. This book, and Tara’s oeuvre more broadly, serves as a brilliant guide for emphasizing presence and process over rigid metrics and external markers of success. A rich, hearty meal for the mind, I was only sad to put this book down when it ended.”
— Jenny Blake, podcaster & author of Free Time and Pivot
Be a part of What Works
Together, we can catalyze a more humane, accessible, and just approach to work. One that doesn’t define us by what we do or how much we achieve. Get the free newsletter that imagines a new paradigm for work.
Think Differently about Work, Culture, and the Economy
It’s easy to lose your way in the 21st-century economy. The world of work and business is changing so rapidly that you might be focusing more on how to keep up than how to live a meaningful life. What Works is a podcast for entrepreneurs, independent workers, and employees who don’t want to lose themselves to the whims of late-stage capitalism. Tara offers a distinctly interdisciplinary approach to the discourse around business, work, and personal growth.
Recent Newsletter Articles
- Wildly inflated prices abound in the creator economy and online business space. What gives?
- How do you turn a jumble of thoughts into a cohesive project? Read or listen!
- What we don't talk about when we talk about work requirements for public assistance.
- Join me tomorrow, May 31 at 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT!
- What is mediocrity? What is excellence? Reflections on Audre Lorde's "Uses of the Erotic: The Erotic as Power"
- Platform companies live and die by the trust of their users—but it seems you can't have your trust and generate shareholder value, too.
- This is not advice: what we really talk about when we talk about AI is us. We're the problem. Actually, we're the solution.